Friday, February 08, 2008

13 years yesterday....

So yesterday, February 7th, marked 13 years since my dad passed away. It affects me differently each year, and I really thought I was handling it well this year. I had been feeling sick all week with congestion etc. Yesterday was already better--I taught without a pack of tissues in hand!

But today it hit me. I was overcome with an exhaustion that I just couldn't explain. I didn't get it, truly didn't make the connection.

In the afternoon, the in-laws came over to see the kids and to have dinner with us. I had half of the dinner cooked already and my mother-in-law encouraged me to go lay down. I finally did....and of course turned on the TV. Before falling asleep there was some reality show of sorts on and the family on there was singing the song my Daddy used to sing to me...........

"You are My Sunshine"....... it warmed my heart, and I got it. I felt like it was a message, a hug sent to me from afar. One of my most favorite memories of my dad is how he used to give me "Piggie-back" rides to bed, flop me on my bed, then lay down next to me and sing to me/with me. And can you guess what Daddy sang? yup, "You are My Sunshine". Every time I hear it, it's a message, that hug from afar.

So anyway, I fell asleep, had a nice nap. When I woke up I started flipping channels again. Nobody in the house was looking for me, so I didn't go looking for them! Anyway, on one of the channel listings the movie was listed as "Forever Friends." It looked like a familiar movie, so I stopped to check it out. I couldn't for the life of me think of a movie that I knew called Forever Friends. It was with Bette Midler, and her character's name was Cee-cee..... ring a bell anyone?

And shortly after I started watching, would you believe that Cee-cee (Bette) and the other 2 characters (Hillary and her daughter Victoria) started to sing..........yup, you guessed it................ "You are My Sunshine"!!! I was hooked, and at that point resolved myself to staying in the bedroom by myself for the evening, or at least till my movie was over.

I had a good cry, definitely needed, and then of course, the last song of the movie..........

"DID YOU EVER KNOW THAT YOU'RE MY HERO!?" .........I danced with my dad to that one at my brother's wedding!

So there you have it ladies and gentlemen...........it was a therapeutic evening, a spiritual evening in its own way, and I just wanted to share with you........

ps. Do you know which movie I saw???