Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Grandma Lil

I don't like to write sad posts, but I guess I have no choice. Got a call from my mom this evening....my grandma passed away early this morning. She was almost 85, had been sick recently, and was weak and getting weaker. But still.....it's not easy.

So I'm glad I talked to her last week, just after she had returned from her last stay in the hospital. Her legs kept giving out on her and they couldn't pin point exactly what was causing it all. Bottom line, her heart was weak. So she had been in the hospital for like a week while my mom was here visiting with us. It was hard for my mom to be here while her mom was there and in the hospital. And now here I am.

But listen to this.......... I hung up the phone with my mom and she told me the news and how she had been trying to get a hold of me all day, and she left messages, etc. Anyway, I pushed play on the voice mail to hear the messages. First message, my sister-in-law....delete. Second message..........was from Grandma. It was about a week ago, but that didn't matter. It was my first time hearing it and her voice sounded so fresh, so alive.

"Hello? Hello? This is Grandma. I just wanted to let you know I'm home." pause "HELLO? HELLO? It's Grandma, I'm home. ok, bye now."

Talk about a freaky but warm and soothing message to hear from someone after just finding out that they've passed away. I had a similar dream the night that my grandfather on my dad's side passed back in the early 90's. Grandpa came to me in my dream and told me he needed to give me a hug because it was time for him to say good-bye. I'll never forget that. And now the message from my Grandma Lil.

Well Grandma Lil........I'm glad you're home sweetie. Have a seat and rest comfortably. It's comforting to know I have another special somebody watching over me now. hugs......