Friday, February 16, 2007

Life with a 3 1/2 year old.....

Just to give you a sample of some of the things that we live with (and laugh at) in our house as we live life with a 3 1/2 year old under the same roof. The funniest part of it all is that lately our almost 6 year old is laughing with the grown-ups, as he gets that the logic his brother shares with us is far from logical. Here are a few examples.............

1. Sitting at dinner table, urging 3.5 year old to eat his shnitzel..... "but I want to eat it last, I want _____ (fill in blank) first." To which I reply, "I don't think so, because after you eat all of that you will tell me that you are too full for the shnitzel....." He looked at me in shock as in HOW DID YOU KNOW??? So I continued, ".....I know your tricks little guy!" And do you know what he did then??? He jumps off his chair and says, "Wait, I know some more tricks, watch........." and he proceeded to roll on the living room floor with alternating hands and legs in the air. Occasionally he would stop and say, "...and I know this trick too..." and so on and so on.............. aargh.

2 So the boys love playing in the bathtub every night. They have tons of toys in there, I add in bubbles, sometimes they put in the color tablets, or use the tub crayons, it's a virtual playhouse in there. Anyway, our house has the horrendous design in which the bathroom door is lined up with the living room hallway, and one can sit in the living room and see right into the bathroom. [great for keeping an eye on kids in tub, awful for summer Fri. night dinners on the patio when the lucky guests facing the house get full view of my kids sitting on the pot with the door open in the middle of dinner...but I digress] ANYWAY....back to the logic...........I poked my head into the bathroom, "Boys, you've got 10 more minutes to play then I'm coming to wash your hair and get you out of the tub!" 3.5 year old response: "Nooooo emah, I don't want 10 minutes, I want 3 minutes cuz I'm 3!!!!" ?????

3. me, noticing that my son was wearing one grey Batman sock and one white sock with red sports stripes: "Ilan, why are you wearing 2 different socks?"
ilan: "Cuz I couldn't find the other one of this one so I took the other one to wear too."

4. The boys are good at dressing themselves, with the usual reminders that often go on for a good half hour each morning....."are you getting dressed???" Anyway, the other evening as I was collecting dirty clothes off of the floor, I noticed that ilan had been wearing 2 pairs of underwear under his sweat pants all day! When I asked him why, he answered, "Because I needed to wear both of them cuz I love them."

5. When trying to convince us that they needed another story tonight before bed, ilan explained why he wanted another story.........."Because, because, Wotem at my gan (really her name is Rotem, it's his girlfriend) told me that I need to have 2 stories tonight cuz I want them."

So there you have it folks..............the logic of a three and a half year old. Which reminds me of the good old TODDLER'S CREED.............have you seen it??? If not, see bewow:

TODDLER'S CREED
If I want it, it's mine.
If I give it to you and change my mind later, it's mine.
If I can take it away from you, it's mine.
If I had it a little while ago, it's mine.
If it's mine, it will never belong to anybody else, no matter what.
If we are building something together, all the pieces are mine.
If it looks just like mine, it is mine.