Monday, November 27, 2006

Snow Flower and the Secret Fan.......

Ok, so my friend from childhood who is still a very close friend but lives in San fran, wrote and asked me if I had read the book Snow Flower and the Secret Fan, by Lisa See. Since I'm always looking for the next good read, I decided to ask my mom to find the book, read it, and send it to me with the next person coming from Fla. So she did, and now I'm reading it and wow.....

I am most disturbed by the whole concept of FOOTBINDING that is mentioned and talked about in the book. I don't know how I never knew about this. I mean, I've even BEEN TO CHINA! I know I always just thought Chinese women had small feet, but they are for the most part smaller than I am, but I had no idea. It even disturbed my sleep last night. Now this is so far a FABULOUS book, and I am really into it and want to know what is happening next, but the whole concept of the footbinding has really thrown me off.

Am I alone in my own clueless bubble of not having known that this was part of the way of life of these women way back when? It's just wild, so wild.

any thoughts?