Wednesday, November 12, 2008

What's in a name???

Sooooooooooooo............wow, in my 6th month already, feeling the baby kicking, heartburn is a daily occurrence, and today I felt like I was already beginning to waddle! ugh. And there's still so much further to go. So close, yet so far away!

Anyway, we've briefly begun to speak about names. My grandmother passed away last year, so I'd like at least the middle name after her. I think we have settled on a middle name. The first name is a bit trickier...........I have a few ideas in mind, but I have a dilemma. I thought I'd ask the few of you who actually might be reading this to give me your thoughts....

So first off, fyi, no, I'm not telling you the name(s) I have in mind, it's not my thing. I don't like to tell people even once we've settled on a name...........not even my mom gets to know before baby is born! But here's my problem............the name I have in mind has a specific meaning, but has nothing to do with the time of year that the baby will be born, I just LIKE the name.

So, what do you think? Let me give you some examples of what I'm thinking of................. name in italics and meaning in parentheses.........

--Is it bad to name my kid Aviv (Spring) if he's born in December?
--What about naming a baby Stav (Fall) if she's born in May?
--And is it crazy to name someone Sivan, Nissan, or May (all names of hebrew months) if they are not actually born in THAT specific month?
--Is it necessary to only use names that are specific to certain holidays IF the child is born on or near that holiday???? ie: Esther (as in Queen of Purim); Judah (as in the Maccabees from the Chanukah story); Ilan (a tree--Tu'B'shevat); etc. etc.

There are more, but I'll spare you the baby babble......... oh, and I MAY or MAY NOT have included the name I'm thinking of here. Not important, I just want to know what the protocol is......

Looking forward to your thoughts............