Monday, September 25, 2006

Gotta love it!

So, my little one (3 years old) goes to a "Religious" gan (preschool). Ok, stop laughing, those that know, it's not exactly religious, as it is connected to the Reform Synagogue of our area. But still, their focus of learning is on the chagim (holidays), brachot (blessings), and living jewishly---very similar to the Jewish Preschools in the states. We decided to send him there for a couple of reasons. One being that the class sizes are in the 20's rather than the 30's, another being that we wanted him to get a similar background to what his brother got in his preschool years in the states.

Needless to say, all is great, he loves going to gan, and his gannenot (teachers) are fabulous. The main Ganenet (teacher) is an English speaker who made aliyah when she was 3, so he is not in any way feeling lost in his hebrew speaking environment.

Anyway, back to the story of the day...........they were talking today about the Kotel, about the New Year, and about the things that they wished for themselves for the New Year. They went around and asked each child what he wished for for himself. I'm sure they got some of the typical answers from kids who wished for hugs and kisses from their Mommies and Daddies.

As I was picking Ilan up today, the teacher came over to me in a completely serious manner and proceeded to tell me about this activity. I was waiting with anticipation for her to tell me that my kid enlightened the rest of the class with his wishes for World Peace, or something intense and earth shattering. Instead, what does she tell me that my enlightened son shared with the class??????

He said, "I wish for myself that my emah will get me new batteries for my robot."

hee hee

oh well, maybe next year a little more of the sense of the year will sink in.......... gotta love it!