Monday, December 12, 2005

Cleaning up...

We've begun the "clean up" in our heads....the daily use of something and the passing comment of "we won't bring this with us, will we?" Or on the contrary, "this is coming in our lift for sure, don't you agree?"

It all kind of makes you think about the stuff I've saved in my lifetime. Why in the world to I have letters written by a friend in the 8th grade? Or a jar filled with ticket stubs? Or worse yet, journals professing my ever changing love for my slew of 9th grade crushes. I don't NEED this stuff, really I don't. So why haven't I thrown it away yet? And really, do I want someone finding this stuff if I mysteriously fall off the planet tomorrow?

I think after New Year's, my big goal is going to be going room by room and physically getting rid of stuff. It's something that I know will not be done in a day, so I need to plan for it. It all reminds me of an old George Carlin skit where he talks about the stuff we have. He says something about how we need things to put our stuff in so that we can make room for more stuff, and how we're defined by our stuff, etc. etc.

I think this is different, it's not you're usual time for a garage sale type of thing. Plus, I'm still in that fuzzy haze feeling of "wow, we're really doing this, aren't we?" Not sure where I was heading with this, but what's new, right? :)