Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Mardi Gras in Mevasseret???

So last night I'm sitting in the living room, boys were in the bathtub (right next to the LR) and I started to hear some loud blaring music. Let me rewind a bit and explain that behind our building is a big grassy area where birthday parties for kids are often held. (the one the kids went to a while back while we were in the Dead Sea area was there).

So when this music began, the first thought that went through my head was: "What a-hole is having a dance party out there at this hour???" It was 6pm and I was thinking, "geez, I've got to put my kids to bed in an hour, I hope this doesn't continue." But I didn't get up to investigate. I enjoyed the time alone while the kids happily played in the bath, until the music seemed to be moving.

MOVING? huh?

So I look outside my mirpeset (patio) and what do I see????? A van with a huge lit up crown on top was blaring the music, and going down the street following the van was a crowd of about 75 people--dancing clapping, and passing around a torah! It was wild.

Needless to say, I ran in the house, pulled the boys out of the bathtub, wrapped them each in a towel and together we watched the "Parade" from our Mirpeset. It was truly an ONLY IN ISRAEL experience!

On the down side however, they stopped traffic in our town area for almost a half hour, at an hour when people were coming home from work, tired after a long day, hungry and needing to eat or feed kids. I know I would have been pissed off if I was one who was seeing it from that other point of view.

*Having grown up in the suburbs of New Orleans, parades to me usually bring back memories of Mardi Gras, this didn't exactly compare! :)